Experts in the skincare field have found that microdermabrasion can be a beneficial skin treatment to improve the overall appearance of your skin. This treatment is becoming more and more popular and they have now made it accessible for you to do these treatments at home.
Discover how to use microdermabrasion machine for your skin – proven to deliver the same results as a microdermabrasion at a dermatologist.
What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a non-chemical, non-invasive skin procedure that uses a spray of microcrystals to remove the outermost layer of dry, dead skin cells and promote the growth of healthier, younger-looking skin. In other words, Microdermabrasion is a form of exfoliation that is not painful and yet has good results.
This post may have affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission on purchases through the links (at no extra cost to you). This does not change our opinion but does help support the site. Thank you!
The Benefits of Microdermabrasion
- Exfoliation: removal of unwanted dead skin cells
- Anti-aging: the treatment stimulates the skin which results in an increase of collagen production
- Improves the skin tone
- Improves the appearance of oily, dull skin
- Improves your skin texture
- Improves the appearance of Acne scars
Microdermabrasion can benefit most adults as well as teenagers who are going through acne breakout and need help correcting the skin problem.
How Often Can You Do the Treatment?
This is a question that many people ask. Firstly, it is important that you keep the treatments consistent. This will ensure that you get the best results.
The rule of thumb is to use the machine once a week. At the beginning of your treatment schedule, you can start to perform the treatment once every 6-7 days until you reach your desired results.
Once you have gotten the results you want, decrease the number of sessions you do from once a week to once every two weeks until you reach a maintenance program of once a month.
Keep in mind when choosing a day to perform the treatment. Sometimes your skin can look a bit red and irritated after the treatment and can take up to 24 hours for your natural skin color to show. I recommend doing the treatment on a weekend so that your skin can heal and look amazing for the following week.
Which machines to buy
Depending on where you live will depend on which brands are available to you. Please make sure that your machine that sealed when you get it and comes with a warranty. The best person to talk to is your local dermatologist or skin therapist and they will be able to guide you in the best direction for the best machine in your area.
How to Use Microdermabrasion Machine
Most machines come with specific instructions for you to follow to ensure that you keep yourself and your skin safe. Please make sure that your machine is programmed correctly before you start your treatment.
- Cleanse your skin using the best oil free moisturizer. Try to avoid products that contain alcohol or are harsh on your skin as this will cause your skin to become sensitive and your skin will be more sensitive during the Microdermabrasion treatment. I would recommend using a product that is natural or as natural as you can find.
- Pat your skin dry with a clean towel and allow your skin to air dry completely. The machines do not work as well when your skin is wet and clammy.
- Once your skin is dry, turn your machine on and prepare to treat your skin. Use your free hand to pull the skin tight and then gently run the head of the machine over your skin. I like to start with the forehead and work my way down. Please do not do more than 2 passes on the same area of skin. This will exfoliate the skin too much and will begin to hurt. I like to move the head of the machine in straight lines and like to overlap the lines so that you ensure you have not left any part of your skin out.
- For my second pass, I like to move the head in a circular motion to promote blood flow. Keep in mind you are trying to avoid your skin from sagging so you want to move the head of the machine in an upward motion. If you move it in a downward motion, you can increase the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- After you have treated the whole area twice, turn your machine off. It is recommended that you tone your skin after the treatment to help close your open pores. This will decrease the risk of imperfections on the skin. This step will also help balance the pH levels in your skin.
- Finally, finish off the treatment with a moisturizer. This step is crucial to ensure that your skin stays hydrated and moisturized. Over drying of the skin can cause fine lines and wrinkles as well as give the skin a dull grey look.
The Moisturizer I Recommend
I always recommend a light moisturizer to use after the treatment. Due to the fact that the treatment can cause skin irritation, a light cream will not irritate the skin but will soothe it. Aloe Vera is a great ingredient to have to promote healing of the skin as well as soothes the skin so the redness does not last as long.
People say that after using the machine for a month, they have seen results that they never would have believed were possible. Their skin looks younger, brighter and healthier and their self-confidence has improved dramatically. They would recommend this treatment plan in a heartbeat and could not believe they have not done it sooner.
As you can see Microdermabrasion is a beneficial treatment that does not take a lot of your time and is more cost-efficient to do at home. Please make sure that you store your machine away in a safe place and that you clean it properly before you pack it away. Use alcohol-based cleaning products. If it is not cleansed, skin infections can happen the next time you use it.