Derma Rollers have taken the skin care industry by storm. At first glance they can be intimidating but once you know how to use them correctly and their benefits, you will not want to go another day without this skin care tool.
A derma roller is a roller that contains thousands of little needles that pierce the skin in a safe way. Once the skin is pierced, the skin care products can penetrate into the skin easier and more effectively.
This results in a better, younger looking skin. I know that the idea of little needles rolling over your skin can be scary, however; it does not hurt as the needles for home use are not thick enough to cause pain especially when you know how to use derma roller the right way.
This post may have affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission on purchases through the links (at no extra cost to you). This does not change our opinion but does help support the site. Thank you!
Derma Rollers can be used at home and on a professional level. Please keep in mind that even though you may use a roller at home, does not mean that you can use it on friends of yours or start to use thicker needles.
If you do not follow the instructions clearly, derma rolling can make your skin condition worse as well as trigger infections. Dermarolling creates micro-punctures or micro-channels in your skin without actually removing any layers of skin since other methods do remove layers of skin.
The Benefits of Derma Roller
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles.Can reduce the appearance of Crow’s Feet (The horrible deep lines on the side of your eyes)
- Can help reduce Acne scarring and stretch marks. Please keep in mind that once a stretch mark has gone white, it means that there is no blood flow to the skin. Once there is no blood flow, you cannot reverse the skin damage
- Helps to even out skin tone and make your skin look smoother and vibrant
- Boosts the absorption of Skincare products. This will ensure that you get the full effect of the skin care product and will help you achieve the best results possible
- Helps boost collagen
- Helps to reduce Hyper Pigmentation marks
Please keep in mind that you pay for what you get. There are many rollers out there that are cheap and poor quality. This will not help your skin get the best results and it can actually make your skin worse. Make sure that you buy rollers from brands that you can trust and make sure that the needles have not been used before you use it. If the box is not sealed, you should not get it.
Your best derma roller will come with instructions on how to remove the safety cap, change the needle heads and so on. The most important rules to remember is:
- Your needles should be 0.25mm, and 0.5 in length. If they are longer, they are for professional use only. These sizes will cause minimal to no bleeding.
- Keep the handle at an angle of 45 degrees at all time. This will ensure that the needles pierce your skin in a safe way.
- Always keep your safety cap on. This will ensure that your roller stays clean.
- Once you have used your needle heads the designated amount of time, please throw the needles away into a hazardous box at your local pharmacy or doctor.
How to use Derma Roller at home
- Choose the right shape Roller head that you want to use. The size of the head will depend on the area you want to treat.
- You need to sterilize your roller head to prevent infection. You need to keep the head in the sterilizing solution for 30 minutes before use and then you will do this again once you have finished the treatment. Even a new head you have to clean!
- Cleanse your skin using your normal skin cleanser.
- Tone your skin using a rubbing alcohol to ensure that the area you about to treat is disinfected.
- If you are scared about the pain of the rollers, this is where you would add a numbing cream onto the skin. The cream normally takes about 10 minutes before your skin is numbed. Once your skin is numbed, you need to gently rub the cream off with a rubbing alcohol. Your skin will still be numb but you do not want the cream to be penetrated into your skin.
- Apply a gentle pressure to the skin using the Derma Roller. Please do not use a forceful pressure as you will damage your skin. Roll the device back and forth 2-4 times in different directions. You can use your other hand to pull your skin slightly. This will make it easier for the needles to penetrate the skin.
- Once you have finished rolling, wash your face with a gentle cream cleanser to remove any tiny little blood spots. Often they are on the skin but you can’t see them they so small.
- Apply your skin product that you wish to be absorbed into your skin. I often tell my clients to use a hydrating Serum on their skin to help boost the hydration. You can use an anti-aging Serum as well if you are rolling to help with your anti-aging treatment program.
- DO NOT APPLY MAKE-UP. Once you have rolled your skin, your skin will absorb products, good or bad. You need to keep your skin clean and far away from tanning lotions, makeup or other products that can clog your pores and cause a skin reaction. The only product you apply is the Serum that has been recommended.
“There are two things in life that I really wanted to do: be an actress, and to be in skin care, and I’ve gotten to do both of them.”
– Victoria Principal
And there you have it, a step by step solution to safely use derma rollers. There might be a bit of redness in the skin for 24 hours, this is normal. Ask your skincare therapist for serums that will best suit your skin or feel free to ask us which serums will help you.
You can use a derma roller once a week and within 8 weeks you will see a change in your skin that you will want to show off to all your girlfriends.
Now when you know benefits and how to use derma roller keep rolling for healthier skin.