Dark underarms are something that most people tend to suffer with. It is not usually caused by a skin disease or medical condition. Dark underarms are caused by a few elements. It is the skin’s response to exposure to certain elements.
Just like your skin goes darker when it is exposed to long periods of sun exposure, your skin under your arms has the same response to elements that we expose the skin too. Let’s find the way of how to get rid of dark underarms.Shaving is a major factor of underarm darkening because while shaving, the hair is cut right above the surface of the skin, making the area look dark.
Causes of dark underarms
- Shaving: shaving causes blackening of the skin because of the trauma the blade causes the skin. If you stop shaving as much and wax or laser, the skin does not get traumatised as often as this results in normal coloured underarms.
- Hair removal creams: the chemicals that are used in the hair removal creams damage the skin and cause the skin to fight back. Think about it, something that can cause your hair to fall out… what is it actually doing to your skin?
- Excessive sweating: this is something that you cannot help most of the time. The acid in your sweat can cause your skin to get irritated and darken.
- Poor ventilation of the underarms: your skin needs fresh oxygen to breathe. You need to allow the skin to breathe and not get suffocated. Fresh air means better minerals and nutrients for the skin.
- Alcohol based deodorants and antiperspirants: just like the chemicals in the hair removal products annoy the skin, so does alcohol based deodorants. The skin is sensitive under your arms and it should be looked after. Trying using natural based products on your skin.
- Unwanted dead skin cells: this can cause your skin to look dark because the cells are damaged. Dead skin cells cause your pores to become clogged and can cause ingrown hairs and pimples. You can try best pore minimizer to enlarge pores.
There are other causes of darkening of the skin that is not as common such as medication and trauma to the skin such as burning of the skin. If the skin is very dark and has blistered, ingrown hairs, moles or other skin disorders, you need to go to a Dermatologist to further investigate what the cause of the darkness is.
Cucumbers can help lighten the skin that has been discoloured. This treatment is only for people who do not have very dark underarms.
- Rub a thin slice of cucumber on your underarms.
- Leave the juice on your skin for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the juice off with cold water. You can do this once or twice a day until you see the results you desire.
Lemon is an astonishing product when it comes to lightening the skin. As an added bonus, lemon is a powerful antibacterial and antiseptic agent. Please keep in mind that lemon can dry out your skin so you need to apply a moisturiser after using this treatment.
- Rub a lemon wedge on the skin for a few minutes. You can sprinkle some sugar on the wedge to enhance the exfoliation. If you are diabetic, please do not add sugar the lemon wedge unless your doctor has told you that it is safe.
- Leave the juice on your skin for about 10 minutes.
- Wash the juice off with cold water. You can do this treatment 3 to 4 times a week.
Baking soda is used to make an exfoliating scrub. Dermatologists believe that dead skin cells can increase the appearance of the darkness under your arms. It will also help unclog skin pores.
- Mix baking soda and water to make a thick paste.
- Use this paste to exfoliate your underarms.
- Wash it off and dry the area thoroughly. You can do this treatment every second day.
Orange peels can be used to lighten the skin under your arms. The peels have an enzyme in them that causes the skin to lighten and exfoliates the skin at the same time.
- Dry out some orange peels in the sun for a few days.
- Grind the peels into a powder form.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of the orange peel with rose water and milk. The combination should create a thick paste.
- Rub the paste under your arms and leave it on for about 10 minutes.
- Wash the area with cold water and repeat this process 2 to 3 times a week.
How to lighten armpits
- Stop shaving as often as you do and start waxing, using laser hair removal or threading.
- Start using natural products on your underarms instead of alcohol-based products. You may have to reapply the natural products more often but at least you are not harming your skin.
- Exfoliate at least twice a week to get rid of the dead skin cells that are damaged.
- Do not wear tight clothing or underwear to ensure that your skin can breathe.
“Beauty is when you can appreciate yourself. When you love yourself, that’s when you’re most beautiful.”
– Zoe Kravitz
The treatments or home remedies should not cause any skin irritations, however, there are some people out there who have very sensitive skins. If any of the treatments start to burn, please rinse it off right away and do not try it again. If the skin irritation does not go away after 24 hours, please have your skin seen to.
Dark underarms will be a thing of the past if you follow these simple steps and do check out this top rated cream. The darkness can be reversed to a point where it will not be as noticeable as it used to be. Severe cases will take longer to see results. If after 4 weeks you are not seeing any improvement, go to a professional. They will be able to determine if there is an underlying problem.