Before we start to get rid of the stretch marks it is important to understand how they come about. Stretch marks can appear on your abdominal, thighs, upper arms, buttocks and breast area.
The main cause of stretch marks is pregnancy however there are other reasons behind them such as:
- Sudden weight gain
- Sudden weight loss
- Rapid growth
- Heredity factors
- Change in physical conditions
- How do stretch marks form
Your skin consists of three main layers: Epidermis, Dermis and Subcutaneous.
The middle layer or Dermis is where the stretch marks start to form. The connective tissue in the skin begin to stretch. The expansion and contraction of the skin cause the marks in the skin. This is due to the fact that the skin is not flexible enough to stretch as far as the skin is growing.
As the skin is stretched, the collagen weakens and the normal cell production is interrupted and damaged. This results in the stretch marks that we see on the top layer of our skin.
Even though there are ways to reduce the appearance of the stretch marks, it is important to keep in mind that once the stretch mark has gone white or off grey, there is no longer blood supply to the area of the skin. Once the stretch mark has turned grey or white, you can no longer treat the stretch mark successfully.
Castor oil is used on the skin to help treat a number of skin problems. It is helpful for reducing wrinkles, age spots, moles, fine lines as well as stretch marks. Castor oil can only help treat sore and tired muscles.
- Apply some castor oil to the stretch marks and gently massage the area in a circular motions for about 10 minutes.
- Wrap the area with a clean, thin, cotton cloth.
- Place a hot water bottle on top of the cloth for about half an hour. The heat will allow blood to flow to the area and help heal the skin.
- Rinse the oil off with lukewarm water. Repeat this process once a day for at least one month to notice positive results.
I personally use Aloe Vera gel to help with most skin conditions. You will see positive results from this treatment and there are two ways to use Aloe Vera to treat stretch marks. The vitamin E is good for keeping the skin hydrated.
- You can rub some Aloe Vera Gel directly onto the affected area. Leave the gel on your skin for 15 minutes and then rinse the gel off your skin with lukewarm water.
- This option has the fastest results. Mix one-fourth of a cup of Aloe Vera gel, 10 Vitamin E oil capsules, (take the oil out of the capsules). Rub this mixture onto the skin until it is fully absorbed by the skin. Repeat this process daily.
This treatment can become a bit messy. Eggs are high in protein. The protein will help your cells to bond once again so that the marks go away. You only use the white of the eggs. The egg whites contain Amino Acids and Proteins.
- Whip the egg whites with a fork. You can use about 2 eggs. Make sure that the area you want to treat is clean and dry.
- Apply a thick layer of egg whites onto the stretch marks with a make-up brush.
- Allow the egg whites to dry completely. This can take up to an hour.
- Rinse the area with cold water and dry with a clean cloth.
- Apply best water based moisturizer onto the skin to keep the skin hydrated and moisturised.
- Repeat this process every day for 2 weeks and you will start to see the results you desire.
This treatment should be done in conjunction with one of the other treatments in this article. Please do not use this treatment if you are diabetic. Make sure it is ok with your doctor before trying this scrub. You can also use salt instead of sugar.
One of the best ways to get rid of stretch marks is to exfoliate the skin and encourage new skin cell growth. This process will encourage blood flow to the area which will help promote healthy cell growth and get rid of unwanted dead skin cells.
- Mix a tablespoon of brown or raw sugar,(salt if you diabetic) with some almond oil, (or avocado oil) with a few drops of lemon juice. The lemon juice will lighten the stretch mark appearance.
- Apply the sugar scrub to the affected area.
- Gently rub the scrub on the skin for a few minutes before you get into the shower. Keep in mind that you want the skin to go a bit red and if it is itchy, it simply means that the blood flow is increased.
- Do this treatment at least twice a week to ensure best results are seen. You should apply the scrub to your entire body, not only the affected area.
As you can see there are a few ways in which you can treat your stretch marks. Other ways include the application of mineral oils to help the skin while pregnant as well as topical medical creams.
Stretch marks can be treated and the appearance of them can be reduced with remedies as well as going to a Dermatologist who has machines that can help reduce the appearance of Stretch marks. Please keep in mind that if any of these treatments give you a skin rash, you need to stop the treatment immediately, rinse your skin with cold water and dry with a clean towel.
If after 24 hours the rash is still there, please go to a medical professional to have it looked at and treated.